24 October 2022
Today we’re going to take a look at some of the best wild swimming locations in all of Spain!
1. Puente de Arganzon, Rio Zadorra, in Basque Country, is one of the most romantic wild swimming locations in all of Spain. It lets you pass right under a Roman bridge and between wild, grassy fields. It’s the perfect place to take a partner who loves being outside.
2. Embalse de Iznajar, Andalucia, is a sandy beach that’s formed on the banks of a fresh water reservoir. It’s actually the largest in all of Andalucia and provides a lovely sunset view. When the sky starts to finally turn dark, these waters become liquid silver.
3. Known as Saint Vincent’s Cooking Pot, this is a lagoon made from the prettiest blue waters you’ll ever see. And if you’re not looking for a swim, the white stones and small beach are perfect for relaxing… or you can take a jump from the waterfall and into the deep gully below.
4. Panta Sant Antoni, in the Central Pyrenees, is perfect for those looking for a long swim. It’s the largest freshwater lake in Cataluna, complete with its own lakeside beach. Not only is it large, but it’s also gorgeous, and known for being particularly quiet.
5. Salto de Bierge, Aragon features a stunning ten meter waterfall, which crashes down into the pool below. The truly brave jump from the top of the water and into the lake. It also allows access for hiking through Rio Vero, if walking the gorges is your thing.
6. Pont de Besalu, in Northern Cataluna, travels nearly 100km through the Volcanic Zone, a natrual park that is exactly as beautiful as it sounds. The perfectly clear water even goes underneath a Romanesque bridge from the 12th century!
7. Rio Verde, Andalucia, is a narrow section of the gorge alongside the River Verde. The nearby mountain ledge lets you jump straight over the tree tops and into the crystalline water, though it’s not a leap for the faint of heart.
8. Barranc del Gorg, in Southern Cataluna, is well known for being a favored shallow river for skinny dipping. You just can’t get much more wild than that! And don’t forget to swing by La Gorguina, the small waterfall located on the end of the river.
9. Pozo Pigalo, Basque Country, is just north of Leusia. It might be a deep green in color, but it’s the perfect spot for anyone with a love for adrenaline. Climb twelve meters up the rocks and take a leap if you’re brave enough!
10. Embalse de los Bermejales is located in Andalucia, and is a massive lake surrounded by a cypress and pine forest. The mountains are reflected in the lake’s water, and it even has a trail that goes all the way around the lake proper.
These ten spots are some of the most lovely in the country, and are a great place to make a totally wild splash!